Dating online and job interviews are a lot alike. The desire to like & be liked is strong. Whether, you are the boss or the worker, you both look for that elusive chemistry that will can make your Mondays a bliss. Here are 10 similarities between job interviews & online dating.
1) You Stalk Online: You google and check out out each other’s profiles, secretly. You look for clues to gauge if this is ‘the one’ you have been searching for. Of course you are going to deny the stalking, act naive & surprised when you meet each other. You don’t want to look like a creepy HR or a suspiciously over interested job-seeker.
2) Being Late Gets You Hate: No one likes a date that arrives late. It does not matter if you are an interviewer or an interviewee, no one likes to wait for the other to show up. The only thing worse than a date that doesn’t arrive on time is the one that never shows up or calls off the ‘date’ in the last minute.
3) Its Annoying If They Are on Their Phone: Just like a date, it sucks if they are busy with their phone all the time.
4) Show off Time: Admit it. It doesn’t matter which side of the table you are sitting at, you are trying to woo the other. You get the jitters just getting ready for the interview. As an interviewer, you want to look respectable. As an interviewee you want to look as professional as possible. The need to be desired is so strong from the beginning. Extra mouth wash, that killer dress, that cologne, the sexy accent are all out on the table. As a prospective employee, you want to be adored. As an employer, you want every candidate to crave to be in your team. Just like a date, it’ all about ‘oh oh eye eye judgy eyes’.
5) Acting Interested: Just like a date, you both look for common interests to talk about and make the conversation interesting. Both the parties act interested in the other. “Tell me more” is the name of the game that sets the ball rolling for mighty tales from both the sides. You act interested no matter what the topic is. No matter how irritated or bored you are. And when you have zero common interests, just like a really awkward date, you rush to finish up.
6) Courteous Flattery: Talking of tales, who doesn’t like a bit of flattery. Just like you don’t leave your date with nothing after a bragging session, in an interview as common courtesy dictates, you flatter each other.
7) The Exes: It gets really uncomfortable and weird talking about Exes. So just like with a date, no matter how much you hated your Ex-boss, you sugar coat and keep make your answers more polite than honest. And no matter how annoying an ex-employee was, you say brief nice things about them to make a good impression with the candidate you are interviewing. Just like with a date, talking about Exes is really awkward.
8) Judgement Day: Just like with a date, you get really judgmental and track every move of the other. Show too much interest, you may end up looking desperate. Play it too hard to get and the other party will lose the interest. If you like the first date, you go for more of it. If you don’t you make up polite excuses on why it won’t work out.
9) Sometimes You Compromise: Sometimes the fear of being alone is so strong that you continue dating someone till you find ‘the right one’. Either or both of the two parties may end up compromising, either for money or for necessity. And just like that a dysfunctional mutually parasitic relationship is born.
10) It Hurts When It Sucks: When one date sucks, you move on to another to get over it. When one interview blows you go for another to feel better. No one likes a shitty date or shitty interview. But you don’t stop dating just because of one shitty experience.
And just like with dates, once you form a relationship, you end up spending an awful lot of time together. So just like finding a mate, a job interview is like a date. It is all about finding, ‘the one’.
Latest posts by Tharika Tellicherry (see all)
- Does Trunchball in ‘Matilda’ remind you of your teacher from hell? - October 30, 2016
- 10 Funny Celebrity Quotes that will have you in Splits - October 30, 2016
- Top 10 queerest professions of them all - October 28, 2016